Thursday, January 15, 2009

There Will Be Blood: Em


“If I say I'm an oil man you will agree,” states Daniel Plainview (Daniel Day-Lewis). And yes, I do agree. Daniel Plainview is a greedy character, looking to drill for oil and make himself millions. He’s doing everything and anything to get it done. The oil industry is booming; its investors are all quickly becoming rich. Daniel Plainview is a top oilman, and we watch as he makes deals on different plots of land. His intension is to make himself as much money as possible, and cares little about others. The movie was nominated for eight Oscars (two of which it won), nominations that I’m not sure it deserved.

The movie contains some beautiful imagery, and the camera angles enhance the film greatly. But, the plot was rather flat and predictable, and some parts were rather boring. Daniel Day-Lewis does a good job portraying the filthy oilman- but not good enough to win the Oscar for Best Actor. I would have rather seen the award go to George Clooney for Michael Clayton, or Johnny Depp for Sweeney Todd. To me, Daniel Day-Lewis is one of those quality actors who only produces a film once in a great while, and so when he does, the awards wash in. If anyone in this film deserved an Oscar, it was Paul Dano, the crazy (possibly schizophrenic) priest. Though, I have to say this film has the best closing scene you will ever witness.

I would recommend this movie to an older audience, I have a feeling this crowd would appreciate it more. The movie is rated R for the violence the movie entails (though personally I didn’t find it that bad). Overall, I would give it about three out of five stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment